Vol 8 | Issue 2 | May-August 2022 | Page: 12-15 | Po-Lai Ho, Anyon Chan, Gerund Yik-Nang Cheung
Author: Po-Lai Ho , Anyon Chan , Gerund Yik-Nang Cheung 
 Department of Anaesthesia and Operating Theatre Services, Tuen Mun Hospital (TMH), 23 Tsing Chung Koon Road, Tuen Mun, New Territories, HKSAR.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Anyon Chan,
Department of Anaesthesia and Operating Theatre Services, Tuen Mun Hospital (TMH), 23 Tsing Chung Koon Road, Tuen Mun, New Territories, HKSAR.
Introduction: Regional anaesthesia is an attractive option for orthopaedic surgery as it offers benefits like improved analgesia, reduced opioid consumption and its associated adverse effects, along with decreased time spent in the post-anaesthetic care unit when compared to general anaesthesia. Nevertheless, its benefits are offset by the limited duration of action which may be solved by the use of adjunct.
Case presentation: The authors present a case of a 45-year-old Chinese who was a chronic smoker and suffered from malunion of right thumb and was scheduled for an elective right thumb osteotomy and fusion with bone graft from iliac crest. He received ultrasound guided distal radial and median nerve block with perineural dexamethasone and dexmedetomidine (dex-dex) as postoperative analgesia, which was not yet mentioned in current literature. His postoperative pain was well controlled, as he reported subjective numbness over territories of the corresponding nerve until 117 hours (approximately five days) after the nerve block. However, the motor block was also prolonged until 45 hours (approximately two days) after regional anaesthesia, and he made full neurological recovery later.
Conclusion: The dex-dex combination proves to be a valuable tool in managing post-operative pain, bearing in mind of the associated prolonged motor block.
Keyword: Dexmedetomidine, Dexamethasone, Nerve block, Analgesia
1. Kettner, S.C.; Willschke, H.; Marhofer, P. Does regional anaesthesia really improve outcome? Br. J. Anaesth. 2011, 107, i90–i95.
2. Borghi B, D’Addabbo M, White P. The use of prolonged peripheral neural blockade after lower extremity amputation: the effect on symptoms associated with phantom limb syndrome. Anesth Analges 2010; 111: 1308–15
3. Zhang P, Liu S, Zhu J, Rao Z, Liu C: Dexamethasone and dexmedetomidine as adjuvants to local anesthetic mixture in intercostal nerve block for thoracoscopic pneumonectomy: a prospective randomized study. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2019, 44:10.
4. Riley DS, Barber MS, Kienle GS, Aronson JK et al. CARE guidelines for case reports: explanation and elaboration document. J Clin Epidemiol. 2017 Sep;89:218-235.
5. Sehmbi H, Brull R, Ceballos KR, Shah UJ, Martin J, Tobias A, Solo K, Abdallah FW. Perineural and intravenous dexamethasone and dexmedetomidine: network meta-analysis of adjunctive effects on supraclavicular brachial plexus block. Anaesthesia. 2021 Jul;76(7):974-990.
6. Chitneni A, Hasoon J, Urits I, Viswanath O, Kaye AD, Eskander J. Synergistic Effects of Dexamethasone and Dexmedetomidine in Extending the Effects of Pectoral I and Pectoral II Blocks for Postoperative Analgesia Following Total Mastectomy with Lymph Node Dissection. Clin Pract. 2021 Mar 30;11(2):190-192.
7. Noor NA, Urits I, Viswanath O, Kaye AD, Eskander J. Fascia Iliaca Block Successfully Prolonged With Dexmedetomidine and Dexamethasone for Pain Control in a Patient Undergoing Total Hip Arthroplasty. Cureus. 2020 Oct 11;12(10):e10897.
8. Herman J, Urits I, Eskander J, Kaye A, Viswanath O. Adductor Canal Block Duration of Analgesia Successfully Prolonged With Perineural Dexmedetomidine and Dexamethasone in Addition to IPACK Block for Total Knee Arthroplasty. Cureus. 2020 Sep 21;12(9):e10566.
9. Noor N, Urits I, Viswanath O, Kaye A, Eskander J: Synergistic effect of perineural dexamethasone and dexmedetomidine (Dex-Dex) prolong Analgesic effect of a preoperative interscalene block. Cureus. 2020, 12:9473.
10. Herman J, Urits I, Hasoon J, Viswanath O, Kaye AD, Urman RD, Eskander JP: Synergistic effect of local dexamethasone and dexmedetomidine (Dex-Dex) in extending the analgesic effect of a transversus abdominis plane block prior to inguinal hernia repair. J Clin Anesth. 2020, 62:109703.
11. Kassem H, Urits I, Viswanath O, Kaye AD, Eskander JP. Use of Dexmedetomidine With Dexamethasone for Extended Pain Relief in Adductor Canal/Popliteal Nerve Block During Achilles Tendon Repair. Cureus. 2020;12(12):e11917.
12. Clair C, Cohen MJ, Eichler F, Selby KJ, Rigotti NA. The Effect of Cigarette Smoking on Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Gen Intern Med. 2015;30(8):1193-1203.
13. Moayeri N, Bigeleisen PE, Groe GJ. Quantitative architecture of the brachial plexus and surrounding compartments, and their possible significance for plexus blocks. Anesthesiology. 2008;108:299–304
14. Kehlet H, Jensen TS, Woolf CJ. Persistent postsurgical pain: risk factors and prevention. Lancet. 2006 May 13;367(9522):1618-25.
15. Fregoso G, Wang A, Tseng K, Wang J. Transition from Acute to Chronic Pain: Evaluating Risk for Chronic Postsurgical Pain. Pain Physician. 2019 Sep;22(5):479-488.
16. Fletcher D, Stamer UM, Pogatzki-Zahn E, Zaslansky R, Tanase NV, Perruchoud C, Kranke P, Komann M, Lehman T, Meissner W; euCPSP group for the Clinical Trial Network group of the European Society of Anaesthesiology. Chronic postsurgical pain in Europe: An observational study. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2015 Oct;32(10):725-34.
17. Armstrong AD, Hassenbein SE, Black S, Hollenbeak CS; Interdisciplinary Pain Team. Risk Factors for Increased Postoperative Pain and Recommended Orderset for Postoperative Analgesic Usage. Clin J Pain. 2020 Nov;36(11):845-851.
18. Otsuka T, Okamoto H, Mizutani J, Goto H, Sekiya I. Continuous Peripheral Nerve Blocks for Early Active Mobilization after Hand Surgery: Four Case Reports. J Hand Surg Asian Pac Vol. 2018 Sep;23(3):419-423. doi: 10.1142/S2424835518720281. PMID: 30282533.
|How to Cite this Article: Ho PL, Chan A, Cheung GYN | Use of Perineural Dexamethasone and Dexmedetomidine (Dex-Dex Combination) in Distal Radial and Median Nerve Blocks to Reduce Postoperative Pain in Hand Surgery: A Case Report | Journal of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Case Reports | May- August 2022; 8(2): 12-15.|