Vol 7 | Issue 2 | May-August 2021 | Page: 17-20 | Satish V Kamat, Prabhakar Subramanian, Kala Eswaran
Author: Satish V Kamat , Prabhakar Subramanian , Kala Eswaran 
 Consultant Oncosurgeon, Aasha Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, Thane, Maharashtra, India.
 Consultant Surgeon, Aasha Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, Thane, Maharashtra, India.
 Consultant Anaesthesiologist, Aasha Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, Thane, Maharashtra, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Kala Eswaran,
Consultant Anaesthesiologist, Aasha Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, Thane, Maharashtra, India.
Thyroid Surgeries under bilateral superficial cervical plexus block – A Case Series
Superficial cervical plexus block is a simple regional anesthesia procedure which can be performed by landmark guided as well as ultrasound-guided techniques. It has been used to provide anesthesia or analgesia for various procedures involving superficial surgeries in the neck and shoulder. The pain after thyroid surgery is of mild to moderate intensity and of short duration. I describe 12 cases in which bilateral superficial cervical plexus block was performed to conduct awake thyroid surgeries.
Keywords: Thyroid surgery, Superficial cervical plexus block, regional anesthesia, neck surgeries, analgesia.
1. Malhotra S, Sodhi V. Anesthesia for thyroid and parathyroid surgery. Continuing Education in Anesthesia. Crit Care Pain. 2007; 7:55–8.
2. Motamed C, Merle J.C, Yakhou L et al. Intraoperative i.v. morphine reduces pain scores and length of stay in the post anaesthetic care unit after thyroidectomy. Br J Anaesth. 2004; 93: 306-307.
3. U P S, K B P, Mohammed SJ, et al. Thyroidectomy Under Regional Anesthesia: An ORL Perspective. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015;9(10):MC01-MC4.
4. Khanna R, Singh DK. Cervical epidural anesthesia for thyroid surgery. Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ). 2009;7(27):242-245.
5. Mukhopadhyay S, Niyogi M, Dutta M, et al. Bilateral superficial cervical plexus block with or without low-dose intravenous ketamine analgesia: effective, simple, safe, and cheap alternative to conventional general anesthesia for selected neck surgeries. Local Reg Anesth. 2012;5:1-7.
6. Singh S K. Improving safety and quality in regional anesthesia: An innovative app for Indian national regional anesthesia audit database, regional anesthesia database App. Journal of Anesthesia and Critical Care Case Reports May-Aug 2018; 4(2):4-6.
7. Pandit JJ, Satya-Krishna R, Gration P. Superficial or deep cervical plexus block for carotid endarterectomy: a systematic review of complications. Br J Anaesth. 2007; 99:159–69.
8. Singh SK. The cervical plexus: Anatomy and ultrasound guided blocks. Anaesth Pain Intensive Care. 2015; 19:323–32.
9. Shih ML, Duh QY, Hsieh CB, et al. Bilateral superficial cervical plexus block combined with general anesthesia administered in thyroid operations. World J Surg. 2010; 34:2338–2343.
10. Haugen TW, Andera LN, LaMadrid AB. Awake thyroidectomy. Laryngoscope. 2020;130(3):685-690.
|How to Cite this Article: Kamat SV, Subramanian P, Eswaran K. | Thyroid Surgeries Under Bilateral Superficial Cervical Plexus Block – A Case Series | Journal of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Case Reports | May-August 2021; 7(2): 17-20.|