Vol 8 | Issue 1 | January-April 2022 | Page: 03-05 | Srikanth Kadapa
Author: Srikanth Kadapa 
 Department of Anaesthesia, Global Hospital, Lakdikapool, Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Srikanth Kadapa
Consultant, Department of Anaesthesia, Global Hospital, Lakdikapool, Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
The severe acute respiratory syndrome corona virus-2 pandemic had a great impact on public life in general as well as on populations with preexisting disease and co-morbidities. Liver transplant and immunosuppressant medication predisposes to more severe disease and is often associated with poor outcome. The clinical features, disease course, treatment and process of modulating the immunosuppression is challenging. The immunosuppression minimization or withdrawal was done based upon the clinical severity. Consideration of tocilizumab and convalescent plasma as well as antivirals like remdesvir done in severe cases. The routine practice of prophylactic anticoagulation, consideration of repurposed drugs (teicoplanin and doxycycline), and watchful monitoring of asymptomatic recipients helped to achieve an uneventful recovery.
Keywords: Covid-19, Liver transplant, Remdesivir, Immunosupression
1) World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Weekly epidemiological update. Available from: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200831-weekly-epi-update-3.pdf? sfvrsn=d7032a2a_4.
2) Choudhury A, Reddy GS, Venishetty S, Pamecha V, Shasthry SM, Tomar A, et al. COVID19 in liver transplant recipients – A series with successful recovery. J ClinTranslHepatol 2020;8(4):1–7. doi: 10.14218/JCTH.2020.00061.
3) Becchetti C, Zambelli MF, Pasulo L, Donato MF, Invernizzi F, Detry O, Dahlqvist G, Ciccarelli O, Morelli MC, Fraga M, Svegliati-Baroni G, van Vlierberghe H, Coenraad MJ, Romero MC, de Gottardi A, Toniutto P, Del Prete L, Abbati C, Samuel D, Pirenne J, Nevens F, Dufour JF; COVID-LT group. COVID-19 in an international European liver transplant recipient cohort. Gut. 2020 Oct;69(10):1832-1840. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2020-321923. Epub 2020 Jun 22. PMID: 32571972; PMCID: PMC7335697.
4) He Q, Song X, Huang Y, et al. Dexamethasone stimulates hepatitis B virus (HBV) replication through autophagy. Med Sci Monit 2018; 24:4617–4624
5) Singh N, Limaye AP. Infections in Solid-Organ Transplant Recipients. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett’s Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 2015;3440-3452. doi:10.1016/B978-1-4557-4801-3.00313-1.
6) Rodriguez-Peralvarez M, Salcedo M, Colmenero J, Pons JA. Modulating immunosuppression in liver transplant patients with COVID-19. Gut. 2021 Jul;70(7):1412-1414. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2020-322620. Epub 2020 Aug 18. PMID: 32816964.
7) RECOVERY Collaborative Group, Horby P, Lim WS, Emberson JR, Mafham M, Bell JL, Linsell L, Staplin N, Brightling C, Ustianowski A, Elmahi E, Prudon B, Green C, Felton T, Chadwick D, Rege K, Fegan C, Chappell LC, Faust SN, Jaki T, Jeffery K, Montgomery A, Rowan K, Juszczak E, Baillie JK, Haynes R, Landray MJ. Dexamethasone in Hospitalized Patients with Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2021 Feb 25;384(8):693-704. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2021436. Epub 2020 Jul 17. PMID: 32678530; PMCID: PMC7383595.
8) Grein, Jonathan et al. “Compassionate Use of Remdesivir for Patients with Severe Covid-19.” The New England journal of medicine vol. 382,24 (2020): 2327-2336.
9) Fix OK, Hameed B, Fontana RJ, Kwok RM, McGuire BM, Mulligan DC, Pratt DS, Russo MW, Schilsky ML, Verna EC, Loomba R, Cohen DE, Bezerra JA, Reddy KR, Chung RT. Clinical Best Practice Advice for Hepatology and Liver Transplant Providers During the COVID-19 Pandemic: AASLD Expert Panel Consensus Statement. Hepatology. 2020 Jul;72(1):287-304. doi: 10.1002/hep.31281. PMID: 32298473; PMCID: PMC7262242.
10) Jiang J, Miao Y, Zhao Y, Lu X, Zhou P, Zhou X, et al. Convalescent plasma therapy: Helpful treatment of COVID-19 in a kidney transplant recipient presenting with serve clinical manifestation and complex complications. Clin Transplant. 2020:e14025. doi: 10.1111/ctr.14025.
|How to Cite this Article: Kadapa S | COVID-19 in Liver T ransplant Recipients- A Case Report | Journal of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Case Reports | January-April 2022; 8(1): 03-05.|