Cervical Epidural Anesthesia for Thyroidectomy in a Patient with a Potential Difficult and Compromised Airway
Vol 4 | Issue 3 | Sep-Dec 2018 | page: 14-16 | A. Verma, A.O. Amata, S. Amir.
Authors: A. Verma , A. O. Amata , S. Amir .
 Department of Anesthesiology and Pain management Al Sharq Hospital, Fujairah, U.A.E
 Department of Anesthesia
 Department of General Surgery Dr. Balwant Singh’s Hospital East Street, Georgetown, Guyana, South merica
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Amit Verma,
Department of Anaesthesiology and Pain Management Al Sharq Hospital, Fujairah, U.A.E
We report a case of a 45-year-old man with a large thyroid swelling with the potential to cause a difficult and compromised airway. Cervical epidural anesthesia was planned and successfully performed to avoid difficult airway management. We conclude that cervical epidural anesthesia can be used for thyroidectomy in a patient with potential difficult and compromised airway.
Keywords: Cervical epidural, thyroidectomy.
- Peterson GN, Domino KB, Caplan RA, Posner KL, Lee LA, Cheney FW, et al. Management of the difficult airway: A closed claims analysis. Anesthesiology 2005;103:33-9.
- Cook TM, Woodall N, Frerk C, Fourth National Audit Project. Major complications of airway management in the UK: Results of the fourth national audit project of the royal college of anaesthetists and the difficult airway society. Part 1: Anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 2011;106:617-31.
- Apfelbaum JL, Hagberg CA, Caplan RA, Blitt CD, Connis RT, Nickinovich DG, et al. Practice guidelines for management of the difficult airway: An updated report by the american society of anesthesiologists task force on management of the difficult airway. Anesthesiology 2013;118:251-70.
- Henderson JJ, Popat MT, Latto IP, Pearce AC. Difficult airway society guidelines for management of the unanticipated difficult intubation. Anaesthesia 2004;59:675-94.
- Amathieu R, Smail N, Catineau J, Poloujadoff MP, Samii K, Adnet F, et al. Difficult intubation in thyroid surgery: Myth or reality? Anesth Analg 2006;103:965-8.
- Arora N, Dhar P, Fahey TJ 3rd. Seminars: Local and regional anesthesia for thyroid surgery. J Surg Oncol 2006;94:708-13.
- Bajwa SJ, Sehgal V. Anesthesia and thyroid surgery: The never ending challenges. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2013;17:228-34.
- Musa AA, Lasisi OA, Fatungase OM, Oyegunle OA. General and regional anaesthesia for thyroidectomy in rural/semi-urban nigerian centres. East Afr Med J 2009;86:287-90.
- Lacoste L, Gineste D, Karayan J, Montaz N, Lehuede MS, Girault M, et al. Airway complications in thyroid surgery. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1993;102:441-6.
- Khanna R, Singh DK. Cervical epidural anaesthesia for thyroid surgery. Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ) 2009;7:242-5.
- Mamede RC, Raful H. Comparison between general anesthesia and superficial cervical plexus block in partial thyroidectomies. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2008;74:99-105.
- Williams M, Lo Gerfo P. Thyroidectomy using local anesthesia in critically ill patients with amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis: A review and description of the technique. Thyroid 2002;12:523-5.
- Sanchez AF. Retrograde intubation. Anesthesiol Clin North Am 1995;13:439-45.
- Hariprasad M, Smurthwaite GJ. Management of a known difficult airway in a morbidly obese patient with gross supraglottic oedema secondary to thyroid disease. Br J Anaesth 2002;89:927-30.
- Srivastava, D. Dhiraaj, S. Airway management of a difficult airway due to prolonged enlarged goiter using loco-sedative technique. Saudi J Anaesth 2013;7:86-9.
- Shaw IC, Welchew EA, Harrison BJ, Michael S. Complete airway obstruction during awake fibreoptic intubation. Anaesthesia 1997;52:5825.
- Wulf H, Brinkmann G, Rautenberg M. Management of the difficult airway. A case of failed fiberoptic intubation. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 1997;41:1080-2.
- Spanknebel K, Chabot JA, DiGiorgi M, Cheung K, Curty J, Allendorf J, et al. Thyroidectomy using monitored local or conventional general anesthesia: An analysis of outpatient surgery, outcome and cost in 1,194 consecutive cases. World J Surg 2006;30:813-24.
- Snyder SK, Roberson CR, Cummings CC, Rajab MH. Local anesthesia with monitored anesthesia care vs general anesthesia in thyroidectomy: A Randomized study. Arch Surg 2006;141:167-73.
- Jain G, Bansal P, Garg GL, Singh DK, Yadav G. Comparison of three different formulations of local anaesthetics for cervical epidural anaesthesia during thyroid surgery. Indian J Anaesth 2012;56:129-34.
- Wittich DJ Jr. Berny JJ, Davis RK. Cervical epidural anesthesia for head and neck surgery. Laryngoscope 1984;94:615-9.
- Kainuma M, Shimada Y, Matsura M. Cervical epidural anesthesia in carotid artery surgery. Anaesthesia 1986;41:1020-3
|How to Cite this Article: Verma A, Amata A. O, Amir S. Cervical Epidural Anesthesia for Thyroidectomy in a Patient with a Potential Difficult and Compromised Airway. Journal of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Case Reports Sep-Dec 2018;4(3):14-16.|