Vol 7 | Issue 2 | May-August 2021 | Page: 10-13 | Deepti Dhiman , Divesh Arora
Author: Deepti Dhiman , Divesh Arora 
 Department of Anesthesiology, Asian Institute Of Medical Sciences,Faridabad, Haryana, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Deepti Dhiman,
Department of Anesthesiology, Asian Institute Of Medical Sciences,Faridabad, Haryana, India.
Case report on anaesthetic management of a patient with self embedding syndrome and difficult airway due to pins in and around trachea
Management of a “difficult airway” remains one of the most relevant and challenging tasks for anaesthesiologists. Although practice guidelines and algorithms may help in such situations, yet modifications are required according to the situations. In this case report the anaesthetic management of a patient with self-embedding syndrome having multiple pins inside his trachea and neck has been described. We present our method of successful management in this case and reiterate the role of different methods of correct positioning and intubation in such circumstances. The use of dexmedetomidine helped in achieving spontaneously breathing patient and fiberoptic bronchoscopy used for assessing the tracheal condition before tracheostomy.
Keywords: Difficult airway, Awake fiberoptic.
1. Benumof JL. Management of the difficult adult airway. With special emphasis on awake tracheal intubation. Anesthesiology. 1991;75(6):1087–1110.
2. Mallampati SR, Gatt SP, Gugino LD et al. A clinical sign to predict difficult tracheal intubation: a prospective study. Can Anaesth Soc J. 1985;32(4):429–434.
3. Victor S. Mannarino, Débora C. S. Pereira, Wagner S. Gurgel. Self-Embedding Behavior in Adults: A Report of Two Cases and a Systematic Review. J Forensic Sci, July 2017;Vol. 62, No. 4.
4. Vidanapathirana M, Gunethilake KMTB. Medico-Legal Significance of ‘Self Embedding of Foreign Bodies’. International Journal of Medical Toxicology and Forensic Medicine.2015; 5(3): 171-3.
5. Parulekar SV. Polyembolokoilamania in Gynecology. JPGO.2014;1(3).
6. Toyota K, Uchida H, Ozasa H, Motooka A, Sakura S, Saito Y: Preoperative airway evaluation using multi-slice three-dimensional computed tomography for a patient with severe tracheal stenosis. Br J Anaesth. 2004;93: 865-867.
7. Tsai CJ, Chu KS, Chen TI, Lu DV, Wang HM, Lu IC: A comparison of the effectiveness of dexmedetomidine versus propofol target-controlled infusion for sedation during fibreoptic nasotracheal intubation. Anaesthesia. 2010;65: 254-259.
8. Apfelbaum JL, Hagberg CA, Caplan RA et al American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Management of the Difficult Airway: Practice guidelines for management of the difficult airway: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Management of the Difficult Airway. Anesthesiology. 2013;118: 251-270.
9. Blasberg JD, Wright CD: Surgical considerations in tracheal and carinal resection. Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2012;16: 190-195.
|How to Cite this Article: Dhiman D, Arora D. | Case report on anaesthetic Management of a patient with self embedding syndrome and difficult airway due to pins in and around trachea | Journal of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Case Reports| May-August 2021; 7(2): 10-13.|