Anaesthesia management of congenital tracheobiliary fistula repair
Vol 5 | Issue 2 | May-Aug 2019 | page: 13-15 | Deepali Gomase Rahate
Authors: Deepali Gomase Rahate 
 Department of Anaesthesia, Ganga Care Hospital, Nagpur, Maharashtra
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Deepali Gomase Rahate,
Department of Anaesthesia, Sr. Consultant,
Ganga Care Hospital, Nagpur, Maharashtra.
We reported a 51 days baby who was admitted with complaints of increased gastroesophageal reflux with repeated aspiration pneumonia and requiring ventilator support off and on. Patient was posted for bronchoscopy and on diagnosis of tracheobiliary fistula, patient was immediately scheduled for right thoracotomy with fistula repair so as to prevent further respiratory sequel. As these patients have poor lung compliance preoperatively they are difficult to manage intraoperatively and require proper postoperative respiratory management.
Keywords: tracheobiliary fistula, bronchoscopy, thoracotomy
1. J James D. Fischer, MDSurgery, Canadian Journal of SurgerySurger CC , Vol 41, No 6, December 1998
2. Hyeon Yu, MD, Joseph M. Stavas, MD, and Mark Joseph, MDCongenital tracheobiliary fistula combined with hypoplastic common hepatic duct: Management by percutaneous transhepatic drainage , Radiol Case Rep.
2011; 6(4): 564.Published online 2015 Nov 6. doi: 10.2484/rcr.v6i4.564
3. Neuhauser EBD, Elkin M, Landing B. Congenital direct communication between biliary system and respiratory tract. AMA Am J Dis Child. 1952 May;83(5):654–659. [PubMed]
4. Ajay Mandal, Sanjay Sen, and Sarfaraz Jalil Baig,J minim access surg. 2008 Oct-Dec; 4(4): 111–113.
5. Bryan D. Eck , William J. Passinault, International Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer, December 1996, Volume 20, Issue 3, pp 213–216
6. SepehrEgrari, Mohan Krishnamoorthy , Corine A. Yee, Harry Applebaum, Congenital bronchobiliary fistula: Diagnosis and postoperative surveillance with HIDA scan,Journal of pediatric surgery June 1996 Volume 31, Issue 6, Pages 785-786.
7. Gauderer MW, Oiticica C, Bishop HC. Congenital bronchobiliary fistula: management of the involved hepatic segment. J Pediatrics Surg 1993;28:452-5.
8. Yilmaz U, Sahin B, Hilmioglu F, Tezel A, Boyacioglu S, Cumhur T: Endoscopic t r e a t m e n t o f b r o n c h o b i l i a r y f i s t u l a : r e p o r t o n 11 c a s e s . Hepatogastroenterology. 1996, 43: 293-300.
9. Sukanya Mitra MD, Nidhi Bhatia MD, Nilanjan Dey MD, Usha DalalMSbBronchobiliary fistula: an anesthetic challenge! Journal of clinical anesthesia 22 August 2008
10. Agrwal A, Bose N, Gaur A, Sikora SS, Pandey CK. Bronchobiliary fistula: an anesthetic point of view.J Assoc Physicians India 2002;50: 971-3.
11. Morley, CJ; Lau, R; De Paoli, A; Davis, PG (July 2005).”Nasal continuous p o s i t i v e a i r w a y p r e s s u r e : d o e s b u b b l i n g i m p r o v e g a s exchange?”Archieves of Disease in Childhood: Fetal and Neonatal Edition. 90 (4): F343-4 doi:10.1136/adc.2004.062588. PMC 1721902.PMID 16036895.
12. Bahareh Bahman-Bijari, MD, ArashMalekiyan, MD, PedramNiknafs, MD, and Mohammad-RezaBaneshi, Bubble- CPAP vs. Ventilatory–CPAP in Preterm Infants with Respiratory Distress Iran J Pediatr. 2011 Jun; 21(2): 151–158
|How to Cite this Article: Rahate D G. Anaesthesia management of congenital tracheobiliary fistula repair.
Journal of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Case Reports. May – Aug 2019; 5(2): 13-15.
.Tags: bronchoscopy, thoracotomy, tracheobiliary fistula