Vol 4 | Issue 3 | Sep-Dec 2018 | page: 24-26| Rohit Vadala, Ebenezer R, Nagarajan Ramakrishna, Visweswar Reddy.
Authors: Rohit Vadala , Ebenezer R , Nagarajan Ramakrishnan , Visweswar Reddy .
 Department of Critical Care Medicine Apollo Speciality Hospitals 2Consultant Nephrologist, Apollo Speciality Hospitals Vanagaram, Chennai – 600095.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Nagarajan Ramakrishnan,
Department of Critical Care Medicine Apollo Hospitals, 21 Greams Lane, Chennai 600 006
Unilateral renal cortical necrosis is a rare entity with few cases reported across the globe. Acute kidney injury occurs as a complication of the cascade of immunological events that ensue once the host`s system is compromised due to invasion of microorganisms or due to other noninfectious causes. We present a case of unilateral acute renal cortical necrosis in a patient presenting with acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and sepsis with multi-organ failure that required extracorporeal cytokine adsorber therapy
Keywords: Extracorporeal cytokine adsorber therapy, Sepsis, Renal cortical necrosis, ARDS.
- Chugh KS, Jha V, Sakhuja V, Joshi K. Acute renal cortical necrosis: A study of 113 patients. Ren Fail 1994; 16:37-47.
- Prakash J, Vohra R, Wani IA, et al. Decreasing incidence of renal cortical necrosis in patients with acute renal failure in developing countries: a single-center experience of 22 years from Eastern India.Nephrol Dial Transplant2007; 22:1213-17.
- Singer M, Deutschman CS, Seymour CW, Shankar-Hari M, Annane D, Bauer M et al. The Third International Consensus Definitions for Sepsis and Septic Shock (Sepsis-3). JAMA2016;315(8):801-10.
- Angus DC, Poll T. Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:840-51.
- Schulte W, Bernhagen J, Bucala R. Cytokines in sepsis: potent immuno¬regulators and potential therapeutic targets – an updated view. Mediators Inflamm2013; 2013:165974.
- Zhou F, Peng Z, Murugan R, Kellum JA. Blood purification and mortality in sepsis: a meta-analysis of randomized trials. Crit Care Med2013; 41:2209–20.
- Kogelmann K, Jarczak D, Scheller M,Drüner M. Hemoadsorption by CytoSorb in septicpatients: a case series. Critical Care 2017; 21:74.
- Shoji H: Extracorporeal endotoxin removal for the treatment of sepsis:
endotoxin adsorption cartridge (Toraymyxin). TherApher Dial2003; 7:10814.
- Cruz DN, Antonelli M, Fumagalli R, Foltran F, Brienza N, Donati A et al. Early useof polymyxin B hemoperfusion in abdominal septic shock: the EUPHAS randomized controlled trial. JAMA2009; 301:2445-52.
- Kennedy C, Khilji S, Dorman A,Walshe J. Bilateral Renal Cortical Necrosis in Meningococcal Meningitis. Case Reports in Nephrology 2011;1-3. doi:10.1155/2011/274341.
- Blumhardt R, Growcock G, Lasher JC. Cortical necrosis in a renal transplant. AJR Am J Roentgenol1982;141;95-6.
- BluteML, Tempelton AC. Unilateral renal cortical necrosis. Br J Urol1985;57:243–4.
- Tovbin D, Lantsberg S, Feldman L, Rachinsky I,Hertzanu L. Unilateral acute renal cortical necrosis (ACN) following skipping with a rope. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 2000;15:415–18.
- Quin R, Moliere S, Rust E, Ohana M, Roy C. Unilateral renal cortical necrosis: Report of a case. Diagnostic and Interventional Imaging 2013; 94:463-5.
- Prakash J, Singh VP. Changing picture of renal cortical necrosis in acute kidney injury in developing country. World J Nephrol2015; 4:480-6.
|How to Cite this Article: Vadala R, Ebenezer R, Ramakrishnan N, Reddy V. Unilateral Acute Renal Cortical Necrosis in a patient with Sepsis. Journal of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Case Reports Sep-Dec 2018; 4(3):24-26.|