Vol 5 | Issue 3 | Sep-Dec 2019 | page: 21-23 | Pooja Chopra, Amisha Vats Tiwari
Authors: Pooja Chopra , Amisha Vats Tiwari 
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Pooja Chopra,
W Pratiksha Hospital, Gurgaon, Haryana, India.
1 Department of Anaesthesia, W Pratiksha Hospital, Gurgaon, Haryana, India.
Patient with un-revascularized (coronary artery bypass grafting or angioplasty) severe coronary artery disease (CAD) poses a great challenge to the anaesthesiologist. Preoperative proper history, work up, risk stratification, optimisation, judicious anaesthesia plan, peri-operative management of pain and intravascular volume status are crucial factors in avoiding adverse outcomes in such patients. We describe successful anaesthesia management of a patient with double vessel disease (DVD) with Dobutamine Stress Echo (DSE) positive for inducible ischemia recommended for percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA), who underwent semi-emergency hip arthroplasty under combined spinal epidural anaesthesia (CSE).
Keyword: Coronary Artery Disease, Double Vessel Disease, Hip Arthroplasty, Anaesthesia
1. Mangano DT, Goldman L. Preoperative assessment of patients with known or suspected coronary disease. N Engl. J Med, 1995; 333:1750-6
2. Cockings JG, Webb RK, Klepper ID, et al. The Australian Incident Monitoring Study. Blood pressure monitoring–applications and limitations: an analysis of 2000 incident reports. Anaesth Intensive Care 1993; 21:565.
3. Andrews TC, Fenton T, Toyosaki N, et al. Subsets of ambulatory myocardial ischemia based on heart rate activity. Circadian distribution and response to antiischaemuc medication. The Angina and Silent Ischemia Study Group(ASIS). Circulation 1993; 88:92.
4. Boerth RC, Covell JW, Pool PE, Ross J Jr. Increased myocardial oxygen consumption and contractile state associated with increased heart rate in dogs. Circ Res 1969; 24:725.
5. Safety and efficacy of ketamine-dexmedetomidine versus ketamine-propofol combinations for sedation in patients after coronary bypass graft surgery. Moghad MM et al. Ann Card Anaesthesth, 2017 Apr-Jun;20(2):182-187.
6. Carson JL, Grossman BJ, Kleinman S, et al. Red blood cell transfusion: a clinical practice guideline from the AABB*. Ann Intern Med 2012; 157:49.
7. Fleisher LA, Fleischmann KE, Auerbach AD, et al. 2014 ACC/AHA guideline on perioperative cardiovascular evaluation and management of patients undergoing noncardiac surgery: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 64:e77.
8. Wu WC, Rathore SS, Wang Y, et al. Blood transfusion in elderly patients with acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2001; 345:1230.
9. Sabatine MS, Morrow DA, Giugliano RP, et al. Association of hemoglobin levels with clinical outcomes in acute coronary syndromes. Circulation 2005; 111:2042.
|How to Cite this Article: Chopra P, Tiwari A V | Successful management of non cardiac surgery in a patient with high cardiac risk | Journal of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Case Reports | Sep – Dec 2019; 5(3): 21-23.|