Vol 4 | Issue 2 | May-Aug 2018 | page: 18-20 | Meenakshi Kumar, Mamta Pawar, Swarnendu Dey.
Authors: Meenakshi Kumar , Mamta Panwar , Swarnendu Dey .
 Department of Anaesthesia and Critical Care, Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, India
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Meenakshi Kumar,
A-224, Sector 31, Noida, Uttar Pradesh – 201 301, India.
Introduction: The incidence of patients posted for coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) with low ejection fraction (EF) is on the rise. These patients present a challenge for the attending anesthesiologist in the perioperative period as they have a poor tolerance to the stress of anesthesia as well as surgery. Maintaining forward flow with avoidance of arrhythmias and hypotension is the primary goals of balanced anesthesia.
Case Report: We describe successful anesthetic management in two adult male patients with Very low EF undergoing CABG. Conclusion: Both patients were successfully managed with pre-operative dobutamine infusion which improved the EF and intraoperative use of intra-aortic balloon pump which led to stable hemodynamics.
Keywords: Coronary artery bypass graft, low ejection fraction, dobutamine, intra-aortic balloon pump
- Westfall TC, Westfall DP. Neurotransmission: The autonomic and somatic motor nervous systems. In: Brunton L, Chabner B, Knollnaan B, editors. Goodman and Gilman’s, The Pharmacological basis of Therauptics. 12th ed. New York: McGraw Hill; 2011. p. 206.
- McGregor DA, Butterworth JF, Zaloqa CA, Prielipp RC, James R, Royster RL. Haemodynamic and renal effects of dopexamine and dobutamine in patients with educed cardiac output following CABG. Chest 1994;106:83441.
- Topkara VK, Cheema FH, Kesavaramanujam S, Mercando ML, Cheema AF, Namerow PB, et al. Coronary artery bypass grafting in patients with low ejection fraction. Circulation 2005;112:I344-50.
- Pieri M, Belletti A, Monaco F, Pisano A, Musu M, Dalessandro V, et al. Outcome of cardiac surgery in patients with low preoperative ejection fraction. BMC Anesthesiol 2016;16:97.
- Fellahi JL, Parienti JJ, Hanouz JL, Plaud B, Riou B, Ouattara A, et al. Perioperative use of dobutamine in cardiac surgery and adverse cardiac outcome: Propensity-adjusted analyses. Anesthesiology 2008;108:97987.
- Chiu CL, Mansor M, Majid A. Anaesthetic management of high risk cardiac patients undergoing thoracic surgery with the support of IABP. Kumar M et al2005;94:688-9.
- Pilarczyk K, Boening A, Jakob H, Langebartels G, Markewitz A, Haake N, et al. Preoperative intra-aortic counterpulsation in high-risk patients undergoing cardiac surgery: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials†. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2016;49:5-17.
- Sá MP, Ferraz PE, Escobar RR, Martins WN, Nunes EO, Vasconcelos FP, et al. Prophylactic intra-aortic balloon pump in high-risk patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Coron Artery Dis 2012;23:480-6.
- Dyub AM, Whitlock RP, Abouzahr LL, Cinà CS. Preoperative intra-aortic balloon pump in patients undergoing coronary bypass surgery: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Card Surg 2008;23:79-86.
|How to Cite this Article: Kumar M, Panwar M,Dey S. Successful Anesthetic Management of Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Patients with Very Low Ejection Fraction: Two Case Reports. Journal of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Case Reports May-Aug 2018; 4(2):18-20.|