Vol 6 | Issue 3 | September-December 2020 | Page 18-22 | Vijay Shankar, Anupam Raj, Neerav Goyal
Author: Vijay Shankar , Anupam Raj , Neerav Goyal 
 Department of Anesthesiology & Intensive care, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi, India.
 Department of Liver Transplantation & Hepato-Biliary Surgery, Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Anupam Raj
Consultant, Department of Anesthesiology & Intensive care Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi, India.
Peri-Operative Stress-related cardiomyopathy following pediatric liver transplant – A Case Series
Perioperative stress-related cardiomyopathy has been extensively described in adults undergoing liver transplantation to be associated with adverse outcomes. Reports of stress-related cardiomyopathy among children is scarce and is usually associated with better clinical outcomes compared to adults. We describe 3 instances of pediatric liver transplantation who developed stress-related cardiomyopathy during the perioperative period and had adverse clinical outcomes.
Keywords: Liver Transplantation; Stress-related cardiomyopathy; Heart failure.
1. C Templin et al. Clinical features and manifestations of Takotsubo (stress) cardiomyopathy. N Engl J Med 2015;373:929-38.
2. Sato HTH, Uchida T, Dote K, Ishihara M. Tako-tsubo-like left ventricular dysfunction due to multivessel coronary spasm. In: Kodama K, Haze K, Hori M, eds. Clinical aspect of myocardial injury from ischemia to heart failure. Tokyo: Kagakuhyoronsha Publishing, 1990: 56-64
3. Prasad A, Lerman A, Rihal CS. Apical ballooning syndrome (Tako-Tsubo or stress cardiomyopathy): a mimic of acute myocardial infarction. Am Heart J 2008; 155: 408-17.
4. Brandspiegel HZ, Marinchak RA, Rials SJ, Kowey PR. A broken heart. Circulation 1998; 98: 13
5. Bybee KA, Prasad A. Stress-related cardiomyopathy syndromes. Circulation 2008; 118: 397-409.49.
6. Aizawa K, Suzuki T. Takotsubo cardiomyopathy: Japanese perspective. Heart Fail Clin 2013; 9: 243-7.
7. Henriksen JH, Møller S. Cardiac and systemic haemodynamic complications of liver cirrhosis. Scand Cardiovasc J 2009; 43: 218-225
8. Botto et al. The Vascular events In noncardiac Surgery patIents cOhort evaluatioN (VISION) Study Investigators Writing Group; Appendix 2.The Vascular events In noncardiac Surgery patIents cOhort evaluation Operations Committee; Vascular events In noncardiac Surgery patIents cOhort evaluatioN VISION Study Investigators. Myocardial injury after noncardiac surgery: a large, international, prospective cohort study establishing diagnostic criteria, characteristics, predictors, and 30-day outcomes. Anesthesiology 2014; 120: 564-578
9. Lazaro E. Hernandez. Takotsubo cardiomyopathy: how much do we know of this syndrome in children and young adults? Cardiology in the Young (2014), 24, 580–592
10. Hernandez LE (2014) Takotsubo cardiomyopathy: how much do we know of this syndrome in children and young adults? Cardiol Young 2 4 ( 4 ) : 580–59 2
11. Radhakrishnan Ramaraj. Stress cardiomyopathy: aetiology and management. Postgrad Med J 2007;83:543–546
12. Haghi D, Athanasiadis A, Papavassiliu T, et al. Right ventricular involvement in takotsubo cardiomyopathy. Eur Heart J 2006; 27: 2433.
|How to Cite this Article: Shankar V, Raj A, Goyal N | Peri-Operative Stress-related cardiomyopathy following pediatric liver transplant – A Case Series | Journal of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Case Reports | September-December 2020; 6(3): 18-22.|