Vol 4 | Issue 2 | May-Aug 2018 | page: 15-17 | Pavan V. Tayde, Aariz Ansari, Islam Loutfy, Hema Sharma.
Authors: Pavan V. Tayde , Aariz Ansari , Islam Loutfy , Hema Sharma .
 Department of Anesthesia, Thumbay Hospital, Dubai, UAE,
 Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Thumbay Hospital, Dubai, UAE.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Pavan V. Tayde,
Department of Anesthesia, Thumbay Hospital, Dubai, UAE.
Introduction: Although rare, pulmonary edema is a life-threatening complication occurring in preeclampsia. It is also a significant cause of maternal and perinatal morbidity and mortality. Hence, it is imperative to identify the at-risk parturient, recognize signs of critical illness and manage these patients with a skilled multidisciplinary team. We herein describe successful management of a parturient who developed pulmonary edema in a perioperative period. We emphasize the importance of a thorough preoperative assessment, vigilance and early intervention in managing parturient with the history of preeclampsia.
Keywords: Cesarean delivery, preeclampsia, oligohydramnios, acute pulmonary edema, general anesthesia
- Lewis G, Cantwell R, Clutton-Brock T, Cooper G, Dawson A, Drife J, et al. The Confidential Enquiry into Maternal and Child Health (CEMACH). Saving Mothers’ Lives: Reviewing Maternal Deaths to Make Motherhood Safer – 2003-2005. The 7th Report on Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom. London: CEMACH; 2007.
- Sriram S, Robertson MS. Critically ill obstetric patients in Australia: A retrospective audit of 8 years’ experience in a tertiary intensive care unit. Crit Care Resusc 2008;10:120-4.
- Norwitz ER, Hsu CD, Repke JT. Acute complications of preeclampsia. Clin Obstetr Gynecol 2002;45:308-29.
- Cantwell R, Clutton-Brock T, Cooper G, Dawson A, Drife J, Garrod D, et al. Saving mothers’ lives: Reviewing maternal deaths to make motherhood safer: 2006-2008. The eighth report of the confidential enquiries into maternal deaths in the United Kingdom. BJOG 2011;118 Suppl 1:1-203.
- Wahjoeningsih S. Management of perioperative pulmonary edema in a patient with pre-eclampsia/eclampsia undergoing c-section. Folia Med Indones 2005;41:138-41.
- Easterling TR, Benedetti TJ. Pre-eclampsia. A hyperdynamic disease model. Am J Obstetr Gynecol 1989;160:1447-53.
- Dennis A, Castro C, Simmons S, Carr C, Permezel M, Royse C. Left ventricular systolic and diastolic function and structure in women with untreated pre-eclampsia. Pregnancy Hypertens 2010;1:S1-41.
- Zieleskiewicz L, Lagier D, Contargyris C, Bourgoin A, Gavage L, Martin C, et al. Lung ultrasound-guided management of acute breathlessness during pregnancy. Anaesthesia 2013;68:97-101.
- Perbet S, Constantin JM, Bolandard F, et al. Non-invasive ventilation for pulmonary edema associated with tocolytic agents during labour for a twin pregnancy. Canadian J Anesth 2008;55:769-73.
- Newstead J, von Dadelszen P, Magee LA. Pre-eclampsia and future cardiovascular risk. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Thera 2007;5:283-94.
|How to Cite this Article: Tayde P V, Ansari A, Loutfy I, Sharma H. Management of Perioperative Pulmonary Edema in a Case of Preeclampsia for Cesarean Section. Journal of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Case Reports May-Aug 2018; 4(2):15-17.|