Vol 6 | Issue 3 | September-December 2020 | Page 25-26 | Somika Agarwal, Sapna Gupta, Divya Vijay
Author: Somika Agarwal , Sapna Gupta , Divya Vijay 
 Department of Anesthesia, Department of Anesthesia, MMU Mullana, Haryana, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Somika Agarwal,
Department of Anesthesia, Department of Anesthesia, MMU Mullana, Haryana, India.
Absent Bilateral Upper Limb Pulses in Middle Age Male? Takayasu Arteritis
Takayasu arteritis also termed as pulseless disease is a rare and chronic inflammatory arteritis of large vessels. It is manifested mainly in young age group between 10-40 years with a female predominance. Anesthetic management of these patients is challenging in view of fluctuation in blood pressure, intimal fibrosis and stenosis of major blood vessels and multiorgan involvement. Here we present a case of 55 year old male patient with bilateral absent upper limb pulses posted for emergency surgery in view of gall bladder perforation that was successfully managed under general anesthesia.
Keywords: Takayasu; Chronic; Inflammatory.
1. Kathirvel S, Chavan S, Arya VK, et al. Anesthetic management of patients with Takayasu’s arteritis: a case series and review. Anesth Analg 2001; 93:60-5
2. Poonam S G, Kalpana D H. Anesthetic considerations in a patient with Takayasu’s arteritis for cesarean section .Ain-Shams J Anaesthesiol 2015;8:681-2.
3. Shukla E, Desai A, Malkan N. et al. Nodular scleritis as a presenting feature of takayasu’s arteritis. Indian J ophthalmol. 2016;64: 312-4
4. Luis-Navarro JC, Seda-Guzmán M, Luis-Moreno C, Chin KJ. Erector spinae plane block in abdominal surgery: case series. Indian J anaesthesia 2018; 62:549
5. Yoshida M, Yamamoto T, Shiiba S, et al. Anesthetic Management of a Patient With Takayasu Arteritis. Anesth Prog. 2016;63:31–3
6. Thorburn JR, James FM. Anaesthetic management of Takayasu’s arteritis. Anaesthesia, 1986; 41: 734-8
7. Gupta R, Singh S, Kaur S. Use of TIVA for Mandibular Plating in a Patient with Takayasu’s Disease. J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol. 2011;27:133–4.
8. Gaba P, Saxena KN, Dua CK. Takayasu’s arteritis: anaesthetic implications and role of ILMA for airway management. Indian J Anaesth 2008;52:858
9. Shrestha, G., Shrestha, N., Shrestha, B., Shrestha, P. Anaesthetic Management of Patients with Takayasu’s Arteritis for Open Cholecystectomy: a Report of Two Cases. Journal of Nepal Medical Association 2015; 53: 146-9.
|How to Cite this Article: Agarwal S, Gupta S, Vijay D | Absent Bilateral Upper Limb Pulses in Middle Age Male? Takayasu Arteritis | Journal of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Case Reports | September- December 2020; 6(3): 25-26.|